Hello and welcome to your weekly FWD.
You may be spending less time watching television and more time on your device, but that won’t shield you from the latest onslaught of advertising content being pushed online. Amazon is testing video ads in mobile search results. Ads are shown below the fold in search results and will either drive shoppers a product page, directly to an Amazon Store or to a custom landing page. Your Netflix nights may also see an unwelcome visitor in the form of promos in between episodes. How many videos in one sitting is too many?
Time to get a little more savvy on social media as the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is clamping down on how influencers declare their paid sponsorships. Gone are the days where someone’s affinities are purely personal. Finally, for a critical look into the aesthetics of Instagram set-ups, one user places posts side-by-side to prove that no one is completely unique. Time to opt out of ads and buy into originality.
- Amazon tests video ads within search results
- Netflix is also testing video promo ads in between episodes, but users aren’t impressed
- Facebook launches new ad products for video games
- The new instalment in the IPA’s AI Radar series looks at public attitudes to AI in the workplace
- Are ‘dumb phone’ sales rising because users want a break from always-on connectivity?
- Smartphones account for 62% of time spent online in the UK, according to UKOM’s Digital Market Overview
- Wishing you had more Legend of Zelda back in your life? SNES.party lets you play classic Super Nintendo games online with your friends
- A solar powered drone has completed a record-breaking flight of over 25 days
- Shelf Engine uses machine learning to reduce food wastage
- Facebook Stories – the challenges and opportunities
- Is the Retail sector ready for voice assistants? Possibly not
- Should brands take more responsibility over the negative effects of social media on children?
Please feel free to pass OMD FWD onto your colleagues, clients and friends – they can subscribe here at any time and watch Wednesday’s get better! #OMDFWD